[drupal-support] View child categories on category's main page?

stevew at etmeli.us stevew at etmeli.us
Fri Jan 21 20:48:01 UTC 2005

I have the same problem as the original poster.  I thought it was an error
in my setup, but you make it sound like it is deliberate.  I'm using the
menu module, which automatically points to the top of my taxonomy (the
name "Topics").  That goes to site/taxonomy_menu/2.  This gives me a blank
page that says "There are currently no posts in this category."  If I go
to site/taxonomy/2, it has no content at all.

Seems like when you go to the top level, it should have links to your
categories, with the category descriptions, in the manner of the images
module top level page.

I guess the alternative is to hand write a page that has small
descriptions and links to the different taxonomy pages.  Not hard, but
that is the kind of thing that I would have expected Drupal to take care
of.

Best regards,
Steve
(stevew on the drupal.org forums)

> There are several taxonomy modules in contrib which can display
> navigation blocks with categories. Check the module list on drupal.org
> for modules who have "taxonomy" is their name.
>
> As far as you other question, this is easy: the taxonomy URLs support a
> depth parameter, which specifies how many levels of child categories to
> include. You can specify a number, or "all" to include all children.
>
> e.g. change: taxonomy/term/1234 -> taxonomy/term/1234/all
>
> However, Drupal will not use these URLs by default. You can use them in
> custom links and path aliases though.
>
> Steven Wittens

When I could find voice, I shrieked aloud in agony,  "Either this is
madness or it is Hell."  "It is neither," calmly replied the voice of the
Sphere, "it is Knowledge."    _Flatland_, by Edwin A. Abbott