[drupal-support] archving Drupal sites with wget

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Fri Jul 29 20:29:47 UTC 2005

At Purdue University, we are going to replace our inactive Drupal sites
with static HTML mirrors of all public content (to avoid
administrating/upgrading them in the future). I've successfully done
this with Httrack, but I'm planning on writing up a tutorial for doing
this and would like to provide instructions for wget (I'll submit some
instructions as a handbook page on drupal.org)

The problem I've encountered with wget is that it is not converting the
relative style sheet urls' properly. So with Drupal pages such as
http://example.com/node/1, wget creates a subfolder node/, but the style
sheet remains relative to the base url (note that Htrack does modify the
relative url correctly).

To get the style sheets to work properly on all new pages with wget, I
have succeeded in modifying the theme template to hardcode in the
absolute URL for the style sheets (both misc/drupal.css and the theme
css). However, I'm wondering whether or not wget can do this correctly
with the right config settings from the original theme template with the
relative URL's?

Any suggestions? As I mentioned, using the Htrack windows client works
well enough for me, but I wouldn't mind writing up about wget in the
tutorial since it's generally a 'nix server default. Anyone successfully
done this already?

Charlie Lowe