[drupal-support] Help with Structure

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 01:12:50 UTC 2005

Hi Chris,

A vocabulary is a "way" of classifying content. If your site
classifies content in several ways, then it will need several
different vocabularies. This is a hard concept to understand at first,
but once you get the hang of it, you will find Drupal much easier to
use (in terms of taxonomy, at least).

I agree with Gerhard's suggestion that you need three vocabularies:

1. Primary category
2. Community
3. Issue

The terms in the "Primary category" vocabulary would be "General
news", "business headlines", etc. The terms in the "Community"
vocabulary would be "LA", "San Francisco", etc. The terms in the
"issue" vocabulary would be "1", "2", "3", etc.

If you set up your site with these vocabularies, you can then install
taxonomy browser. When you enable taxonomy browser, and configure it
to use these three vocabularies, then it will generate a page with
three drop-down boxes, one for each vocabulary. So your users can look
for articles that are related to "business headlines", in issue "3",
for the "New York City" community.

By the way, I think it's really wonderful that you're blind (wait, I
haven't finished!), and are able to set up and administer a Drupal
site. It really shows that all the effort that's been put into
accessibility and usability in Drupal is paying off. If it's not too
much to ask, would you be able to reply with some comments about your
experiences using Drupal so far, as a blind person? If you haven't
used Drupal very much yet, then perhaps in a few weeks' time. But I
think the community would be very interested in hearing your feedback.

Jeremy Epstein.
www.greenash.net.au