[drupal-support] multiple sites

Ross Kendall drupal at rosskendall.com
Wed Jun 15 22:12:09 UTC 2005

Hi Christopher,

Your list looks right to me, the best thing is to give it a try.

There are a couple of scripts to help with adding the prefix onto table
names in database.mysql (and add on module .mysql files), look for
'prefix.sh' under scripts.  I also wrote a script in perl to do the same
(why I don't know).

If you can set up more than one database on your webserver (for example,
one for each site), this is a simpler way to do things than having table
prefixes (unless of course you would like to share some database tables
between sites).  Just edit each settings.php file with the appropriate
database settings.

What you probably want to ask yourself is:
 *What do I want to share (or not share) between the multiple sites?*
 - database
 - directory structure (main drupal codebase)
 - modules
 - content
 - users
etc.

Drupal can handle sharing various things between sites, in different
ways.  So stop and think about exactly what you are trying to achieve
first, then work out how to do it.

Hope that helps,
Ross.