[drupal-support] New sites and db prefixes

William Meertens nuke at meewi.be
Sun Jun 19 22:10:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:45:48 -0500 (CDT)
Tib <tib at tigerknight.org> wrote Re: [drupal-support] New sites and db prefixes :

> > Hi Tib!
>
> If you set a db prefix in settings.php you must have all the tables with
> the same prefix in your database. You can have one installation without
> any prefix and many others with several prefixes.

Hi,

That is actually not completely correct. If you look at the explanation in your settings.php you find above your prefix setting that you can use "arrays". That way you can have multiple sites run over your same prefix-table and still have many different prefix-tables. Also you do not not an installation without any prefix. Every site can have it's prefix, only you need one prefix to be a complete database. The rest can be bits and peaces. That way Drupal can run in a database that is used by another script or program.

Actually all this should run out of first hand without programming knowledge. As it is clearly explained in the handbook and settings.php file. But sometimes, OK with me also, most of the times, it are the easiest things that one oversees the first ;-)

Cheers,
William.

--