[drupal-support] international menus?

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Mon Jun 20 08:02:42 UTC 2005

Op maandag 20 juni 2005 09:18, schreef D_C:
> hello!
>
> does anyone know how to make the links menus depend on the users current
> language settings?
>
> using the internationalization module, it is possible to have the actual
> drupal system menus (eg "admin/create content") text be localized, but
> for menus where I create the content, is there a way these strings can
> also be replaced based on language?
>
> eg the so called "primary links" menu (like support|downloads| etc on
> drupal.org )
>
> I guess the other option is to have two sites like:
>
> site/en
> site/jp
>
> but that would probably mean the user would have to register twice etc?

This is a very (very!) complex thing to achieve with Drupal. It is near to
impossible without hacks, or without adding big layers of complexity.
You should look at internationalisation. You must use its table prefixing to
generate two tables/ one for each menu. It works this way
(www.dalsemmushroom.nl), but is complex to maintain.

The other method would be to instal two drupal sites, with some shared
database tables (the handbook explains how to do this). but in this case, you
will loose all correlation between articles (the jp and the en version of an
article/menuitem/category/etc are unaware of eachother)

All in all I would say that it is doable, but personally I gave up on this,
and simply say to my clients tha at this moment its not possible to do
multilingual sites with Drupal. For that /is/ the truth: it is all so alpha,
and so buggy, that it is fair to call it "not yet working".

 say this with all respect to Jose A Reyero, who did a fabulous job on
internationalization. but as it stands, Drupal core is just not ready for a
multilingual approach.

Regards,
 Bèr
--