[drupal-support] my problem with php admin or maybe PHP admin has a problem with me!

Sohodojo Jim salmons at sohodojo.com
Mon Jun 20 17:34:27 UTC 2005

Bèr Kessels wrote:

>I have looked at my local PHPmyadmin and noticed there is quite some
>cross-frame javascript. this means that the javascript needs to "talk" to its
>neighbouring or parent frame(s) in order to perform its actions;
>I can imagine a screen reader does not support cross frame javascripting.
>
>A mysql commandline is really not that hard. And servers with SSH access (so
>you can actually use the commandline on the server) are getting very cheap,
>nowadays.

    Ber's cross-frame Javascript challenge to screen reading is a sound
insight (no matter what may or may not have worked in the past).
Client-side and hosted server-side environments are such 'slippery
slopes' when continual updates/upgrades are involved. So it is sometimes
good not to lose too much sleep when something that did work, doesn't
anymore.

    Secure telnet and command line access is certainly another sound
recommendation, especially in a scree reader situation. But if you
really do not want to, or your hosting company does not support this
approach, there are alternatives to phpMyAdmin.

    In the event that you are using the Windows operating system,
sometimes a client-side application will work where phpMyAdmin will not.
The best app we have found is available in a free version as well as in
a $49 non-commercial and $99 commercial version and it is a super
product. Check out:

    http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/index2.php

    SQLyog has a bunch of cool features that are comparable to
phpMyAdmin but in a local application format.

    The one caveat for using SQLyog database synchronization is that the
current version will skip tables without primary keys. A number of
Drupal tables do not have primary keys, so this can effect your database
synchronization. The simple work-around is to add an auto-increment
primary key to the PK-less Drupal tables. The SQLyog folks are planning
to fix this limitation in an upcoming release.

    Database synchronization can be very helpful in situations where you
have a local intranet development site and a public Internet site.

    --Sohodojo Jim--