[drupal-support] how to create forums

Djun Kim puregin at puregin.org
Tue Mar 1 04:57:52 UTC 2005

Haisam,

   In overview, you need to

      - enable the forum module
            administer->modules
               check the 'forum' box to enable the forum module

      - create a vocabulary which will associate to forum topics
            administer->categories->Add Vocabulary
               A good name would be "Forum Topics"
                  e.g.
                     Forum Topics
                        Food
                           Recipes
                           Restaurants
                               Greek
                               Mexican
                               Ethiopian
                               Indonesian
                           Nutrition

               The "Type" this vocabulary should apply to is "forum topic"
               Make it a single hierarchy
               Disable multiple select
               Make the vocabulary 'required'

      - associate the vocabulary to forum topics:
            administer->settings->forums
               In the dropdown list of vocabularies, select the
               vocabulary you have just created ("Forum Vocabulary")

               If you have topics which should be 'containers' only,
               and not have topics in them, select these in the
               list of terms you have defined in your forum topics
               vocabulary.  E.g., in our example, you could have
               Food, Recipes, Restaurants, Nutrition be containers.
               (or not :)

      - decide which users will have permissions to create topics,
        add comments, and so on.
            administer->users->configure->permissions

     Play with the other settings at your leisure to discover how they
work.  Have fun... hope this helps.

     Regards, Djun

Djun M. Kim, Director                           djun.kim at cielosystems.com
Cielo Systems Inc.                              http://www.cielosystems.com
Strategic Software Research                     Tel:   (604) 739-3941
302 - 1298 10th Avenue West                     FAX:   (604) 739-3943
Vancouver, BC, V6H 1J4                          Mobile:(778) 895-1379