[drupal-support] PHP compression and cacheing

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Mar 1 15:00:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Julian Bond wrote:

> I think there's a possible problem with PHP zlib.output_compression = on
> and Drupal caching.

There have been reports that stated this, yes.

> I have zlib.output_compression = on in php.ini on the server. I've seen
> a couple of instances where setting drupal output caching to enabled
> resulted in either blank pages coming back or random ascii text as
> though the output was being double encoded.

Can you describe under which circumstances ths might happen? Does this
happen always if a page is cached?

> Does this ring any bells?
> Setting caching off always seems to cure it.

I am of the opinion that Drupal sets the right header and
zlib.output_compression should not compress the cached pages again.
Apparently zlib does not agree or doesn't read headers.

A possible fix would be not to store gzipped pages if zlib compression is
used.

Cheers,
	Gerhard