[drupal-support] Mass mailer funding

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue May 31 16:45:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Eric Scouten wrote:

> Andrew Cohill wrote:
> > On May 30, 2005, at 6:21 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> >
> >>If I'd get some funding, I'd work on it.
> >>I've been meaning to set up a reverse bounty for this, but haven't
> >>figured out how to do that yet.
> >
> > I wonder if the Drupal community itself could fund some of this work.
> > Suppose 50 people agreed to donate $25 USD to help fund mailing
> > list/Drupal integration?  Is that too much? Too little?  Could we use
> > the Drupal fund as the fiscal agent for user community projects?
>
> Count me in as well. I'd be happy to have a better (read: integrated)
> solution for mailing lists.

This starts to get interesting from an economic point of view as well.
;-)

I'll have a second look at Sympa and draft a proposal. My current idea
is to "simply" duplicate most/all of Sympa's user and admin interface in
Drupal. That of course assumes that you have set up Sympa already. Does
that sound like it would be usefull?

Development plattform would be Drupal 4.6 and Sympa 5.0. Depending on
how much the database table structure of Sympa changed between releases,
earlier versions might be usable, too. I'll need to investigate this.

I imagine the installation instructions would be similar to:

1) Install Sympa (pointer to URL)
2) Configure Sympa database in settings.php (the usual Drupal config
   string becomes $db_url['default'], add $db_url['sympa'] with pass,
   user, and database for sympa)
3) Install sympa.module by copying it to your modules directory and
   enabling it in Drupal's config.
4) Visit the Sympa module's settings page, configure permissions, etc.

The hardest part would be 1) which would be outside my responsibility.
;)

Cheers,
	Gerhard