[drupal-support] Making a Drupal website speak

Kobus Myburgh ITBJDM at puknet.puk.ac.za
Thu Sep 1 09:13:05 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have implemented a Drupal site with MSAgent for a project I need to do for my studies, as well as part of the ongoing project that I am working on at: http://drupal.org/node/22997.

I have created a module that adds a few fields to every node that you create, namely:

Spoken text (same as $node->body if not entered)
Spoken title (same as $node->title if not entered)
etc.

While this works relatively well for published content, it will obviously not work for Drupal's system pages, e.g. the user login page or administration pages. Do I have to hard-code this into the Drupal modules, or is there a way I can extend all system modules to have customizable texts which can be spoken? If you need more access on the site to be able to create content and work on this project with me, please let me know.

If you want a demo of the problem I am experiencing, please take a look at www.eagleeyes.co.za (currently only tested with IE6...) There will be a security message coming up, which you can decline. It is only to allow speech in the menu (will not be asked again if you put the site in your trusted zones in IE). The speech of the content will work regardless, providing you have a TTS Engine installed. This is usually installed to a degree with a standard Windows XP Pro install, so you shouldn't experience any trouble.

If you look at the main page, you will see that the text is spoken to you, but if you click in the menu on the System -> Maintenance, you should be provided with an Access Denied message. When you press Control+Shift+J to activate speech, you will see what I mean.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kobus