[support] A shot in the dark - was Drupal themes

Bruce Whealton brucewhealton at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 15:37:24 UTC 2006

You said to only apply a style on a particular page.  The problem is for me and I risk feeling ignorant, but the pages are not created as static pages.  I can't look at an xhtml page within the code, as there are no xhtml pages in the code.  So, I've got the
  .node .content
  black and so the image area around a picture is black but that's only a small part of the display area.   The home page is a book page made from an image in a photogallery.  I didn't feel so ignorant or confused using Drupal in a long time until I started trying to do this.  I didn't think CSS was all that confusing.

  The problem for me is that every page is being generated with php, so I can't just open a page in Dreamweaver and look at the Style on a part of the screen.  There doesn't seem to be a way to edit these things in a WYSIWYG, type display environment... where I'd be able to apply a style and see that indeed there was a change to the background and then see the text and try a lighter text, all this in one step.  It's like I have to try a change and then upload it and see if there is any change.  Can anyone offer any tips?
  So, I've got the bluemarine theme and it's blue up top, left menu is grey with blue text.  Just below the top area there is the text
  Home >> View some of our projects
  Then the title of the image.  So, to the left of the image it's white, above the image is white, to the right is black.  I want to get the image to be surrounded by black.  All the themes are made such that the content area, including the top box, and menu areas are all with white or light colored backgrounds.  This leaves my task to be tougher.  If the design of a theme was based on a dark or black background for the content and menu areas, things would be a bit easier for me.  It would be a better place to start for me.  There aren't any themes with this are there?

  Bruce

Vladimir Zlatanov <vlado at dikini.net> wrote:

> I'm editing Bluemarine now and using the Firefox Web Developer kit.
> I'm not finding any place where the background images for much of the
> site is being set. I try one after another background color style and
> come up with no change as I'm setting each one to black background.
> Maybe I should move everything to my pc and use Dreamweaver to search
> each and every file, telling it to seach the code for
> background-color.

No idea about the developer toolkit, but your main problem is
discovering which style has the highest priority. It could be
a bit weird. As a quick hack - you can create your own class or id
and make sure that it appears only on that particular page. Then style
it with high specificity. NOTICE: This is a quick hack, it is ugly, it
might quickly lead to serious brain damage, let alone mess.

About your original question - how to change the backround on a
particular page - if you want to change the style of a particular
set of pages, you might have a success with the sections module.

Alternatively, there used to be a tip in the handbook, giving code
example of how to do it within the theme template, without the sections
module. Not sure where to pint you to though. But the idea is simple:
in the beginning of the tpl file do conditional loading of templates -
if, switch, whatever you fancy.

An advice, if you want to save yourself some brain power, spend some
time and split drupal.css into logical components and get a feeling what
is used there. It looks scary, but it is fairly straight forward, and is
well documented inside the file. The themes, tend to be messier, due to
beautification hacks and are not documented to that extent.

Apropos, I like shooting in the dark, just don't tell the kittens

Cheers,
Vlado

Word Salad Poetry Magazine - join us online at:
http://wordsalad.net/   and also ->
Check out the Buffy the Vampire Slayer writing
Street Exposure - Street Newspaper
http://wordsalad.net/StreetExposure/
Bruce Whealton - Webmaster/Designer/publisher/Writer
http://trianglewebservices.com/