[support] Filemanager...Forgive Me

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Sat Apr 8 17:00:12 UTC 2006

I cannot speak to the whole thing, but on this:

On Apr 7, 2006, at 7:49 PM, Lists wrote:

> Here is what the actual module settings screen says:
>

>> Public file system path: [ ]
>>
>> A file system path where public files will be stored. This
>> directory has to
>> exist and be writable by Drupal. This directory has to be
>> accessible over the
>> web. Changing this location after the site has been in use will
>> cause problems
>> so only change this setting on an existing site if you know what
>> you are
>> doing.
>
> Okay, I've got "assets/files" and the perms are 777.
>
>> Public file system url: [ ]
>> Base url that points to the public files directory.
>
> Okay, I've got that set as well, pointing to the above.
>
>> Private file system path: [ ]
>> A file system path where private access controlled files will be
>> stored. This
>> directory has to exist and be writable by Drupal. This directory
>> should not be
>> accessible over the web. Changing this location after the site has
>> been in use
>> will cause problems so only change this setting on an existing
>> site if you
>> know what you are doing.
>
> This is terrible writing.  Firstly, since I am told that this
> should not be
> accessible over the web, then that means that it should be outside my
> 'public html' folder. No problem.
>
> I create a directory above my public html folder, and then I set
> its perms
> to 777. This is fine.
>
> But that means that I know must enter a path in the relatvie form
> "../../../" and so on, back up to that directory.  Okay.
>
> This does not work.  404 errors abound.

I use this approach all the time, with no errors. A couple things to
check:

Did you create the directory? Drupal won't do that for you.

Did you designate a path ../ etc. relative to your base url?

I know the whole thing can be tricky, and I understand there are new
efforts in the works to improve and change the way files are handled.
But at least this much should work the way you're doing it, as long
as the folder exists and you have the right folder designated.

Example:

mydomain.com is my base url. The file folder structure might be this:

myaccount
-public_html
--[my drupal installation]
-private_files [note: I have created this folder using shell or sftp
client]
-[other hosting-related folders, e.g., mail, public_ftp, etc.]

In settings, I would designate the private folder as this:

../private_files

I hope this helps at least re this little part of your questions.

Laura