[support] Content Type Descriptions Not Displaying

Lists listout at accidentaltechie.org
Fri Apr 14 15:06:29 UTC 2006

"Lists" wrote:

> "Greg Knaddison - GVS" wrote:
>
>> On 4/12/06, I wrote:
>>>
>>> I want it to show under the title of the thing it is describing.
>>
>> And it does do that - just not where you expect it to.  When you go to
>> node/add/book it will show right underneath the "Submit Book".  If you look
>> at
>> the help text right underneath that box it says
>>
>> "This text will be displayed at the top of the page submission form. It is
>> useful for helping or instructing your users."
>>
>> That is precisely the behavior I see.
>
> Greg, thanks kindly for your time in making a screen shot. That surely cleared
> up the issue of 'language' -- communicating that we are talking at right
> angles (slightly.)
>
> You see this behavior, and I don't, because we are not looking in the same
> place at the same time.
>
> The one key point that I made that I think maybe you mis-read:
>
> I wrote:
>> I can't seem to affect any change on the display of general description
>> information for content types for non-logged in users.
>
> I see, now, that you are talking about _submission for logged-in users who
> have rights to create book content_ while I am talking about everyone.

I wanted to follow-up on this topic, since I have had 2 off-list messages
from others asking if I've been able to address the issue, since they also
do not understand why no information can be displayed to non-registered
users regarding the various content types.

I have found that the 'helpedit.module' is the ticket for what I wanted to
do. I would recommend trying that out to see if it also provides the
features that you want for your site.

Since I was asked whether the 'help' module is supposed to do this, all I
can say is that:

    I have no idea what the point of the help module is.
    I added the help menu, and was not aware that this 'help' module is
intended to be __admin help__ NOT __user help__.  The menu it installs has a
path like:  admin/help.

    This is, of course, a pointless menu item for the navigation menu, since
no user (on my site) can reach it.

So...I would recommend the 'helpedit.module'.  How's that?

(Thanks for those who took time to lend a hand.)

--
Gary