[support] Database problem

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Sun Apr 23 18:32:41 UTC 2006

On Apr 23, 2006, at 10:22 AM, Bruce Whealton wrote:

> Hi all,
>      I'm hoping someone can help me please.  I had installed drupal
> using cpanel.  Recently, I tried changing the username for my
> account.  That had my site (my drupal site) unreachable, with an
> "unable to select database," error.  Well, I realized that the
> problem was that my cpanel interface adds a prefix to the database,
> as in myoldaccountid_drpl1
> when changed to mynewaccountid_drpl1 will not work.  Amazingly,
> even when I changed the config file, which is settings.php in the
> sites/default directory.  I'm perplexed as to why that didn't
> work.  I looked all through my site and could not find any other
> place where the actual name of the database was hard-coded.
> Question:   Is there some other place where the actual database
> name will be found in the code?

CPanel setups will also frequently prefix the database username as
well. You will want to check that, too. In CPanel, you can look at
your MySQL users and databases.

I have no idea if your password was reset as well.

> Next question... if I wanted to backup everything so that it could
> be setup elsewhere or just so that everything could be restored,
> how would I do that?  what tools might I use to backup the
> database?  I'm thinking phpmyadmin
> There are several ways to backup and save a database and I'm not
> sure which way would be the best.  There's SQL, LaTex, CSV, MS CSV
> for Excel... well, you get the idea, many alternatives.  How might
> I select one that would best allow me to save and then restore -
> the latter task being my key interest here, easy to restore on
> sever or to setup site elsewhere.

You can use export in phpMyAdmin. Select all the tables  (unless you
have a huge table like the zipcodes, you might want to skip that
one), go through the various settings you want, and export a tgz backup.

> It occurs to me that many files and directories would need to be
> saved but it seems like I cannot even access the files directory to
> back that up if I wanted to do so.  I might zip and then backup the
> zip file onto a disk.  But what about the files directory?  I can't
> ftp (copy) the file to local hard drive.  What should I do?  I'm
> obviously planning on using an ftp tool to download the entire site
> - the drupal site... it just won't let me get what is in the files
> folder/directory.

Are you looking in your html or public_html folder? If your host
won't give you access to your directories, then ask them to do the
backup for you.

Hope this helps.

Laura

Laura Scott, President