[support] Backing up, upgrading, moving drupal install

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Fri Aug 11 21:18:11 UTC 2006

For the 4.7 upgrade, i'd encourage you to view the videocast at:

http://drupal.org/videocasts/upgrading-to-4.7

It answers many of your questions.

The basic answer for flexinode, is that if you install the flexinode
module on your 4.7 installation and then run update.php your content
should be intact.

Regarding question 4, that's a really tricky thing to do.  I wouldn't
advise advertising this to clients, and this is NOT archival quality,
but if you were REALLY careful you could create a database backup, save
it into the site files directory and then tar or zip the whole thing up
for transport to another drupal site.  The following things would have
to be true in order for the import to work:
 1. The version of drupal being imported to MUST be the same version.
 2. The destination version of drupal MUST be on the same database
technology.
 3. All of the modules that your using must be downloaded on the drupal
version.

Otherwise you should consider satic copies of the site using a tool like
wget to build an archive copy of the static version of the drupal site.

Hope that helps.

Dave