[support] contact form spam

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Wed Aug 16 18:58:51 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, Anisa <mystavash at animecards.org> wrote:
> Yesterday, I got some spam through my site contact form.
>
>  Not entirely sure what to do, if anything.  Should I do something?  I could
> find the spam ip addresses and ban them, of course.  Should I be worried
> about the site being vulnerable?
>
>  :(  My danger sense isn't going off, but that could just because I'm really
> ignorant in these sorts of things.

Different (mostly old) versions of certain contact forms allow spam
relays.  If you start getting a lot of hits on that form be concerned
about it being used to relay spam.  Otherwise it was probably just a
probe and can be ignored.

There are lots of antispam options (CAPTCHAs, akismet, etc.) but those
decrease the value to normal users so I only like to implement them if
I am overwhelemed by the spam problem.

Greg

--
Greg Knaddison | Growing Venture Solutions
Denver, CO | http://growingventuresolutions.com