[support] Install and configure modules only once for all websites running the same drupal install?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Aug 20 22:37:15 UTC 2006

Actually the answer is "mostly".  If you put a module in the /modules
directory instead of /sites/foo/modules, then it becomes available to all
sites.  (That does mix it in with core modules.  However, the next version of
Drupal will have a sites/all/modules directory for that purpose as well.)

You can then go to each site and enable the module, and it will run install
script for each site to setup the database (if necessary) for that site.  Any
configuration you have to do, however, is per-site unless you're merging
things like the variable table between sites, which you really shouldn't be
doing. :-)  However, depending on what it is you're doing it MAY make sense
to share tables for that module between multiple sites.  That depends on your
use case.  The web site and install docs have more on shared tables.

In most cases, you probably don't want to have configuration shared between
two sites.  Think very hard before you do so.

Cheers.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012