[support] How to get a page to display in a block?

k l u r t klurt at sp0ke.net
Wed Aug 23 19:06:02 UTC 2006

Quoting k l u r t <klurt at sp0ke.net>:

> Quoting Jody Cleveland <Cleveland at winnefox.org>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've successfully used views to display a 'what's new' block that's
>> displayed on the front page of my website.
>>
>> What I'd also like to add, is a block that is actually just a small view
>> of a page. What I want to do, is to have a block that displays IM
>> status:
>> http://www.onlinestatus.org/
>>
>> I've got a page with this info here:
>> http://www.wals.lib.wi.us/drupal/online_status
>>
>> Is there a way to create a block that would show that page? Is there a
>> different/better way to do this sort of thing?
>
> Hi,
>
> You might want to check out the microcontent module:
> http://drupal.org/project/microcontent

Hi,

Sorry for the short answer; I should have given a little more details.

If you use the microcontent module, you should be able to create a
microcontent content type (add/microcontent) that will be available as
a block.

The actual code (or script) that displays the IM online status should
be placed into the content section of the new microcontent that you
want to create - remember to select the appropriate "Input format"
(i.e "PHP code" - if it is a php script) when creating the new
microcontent.

 From there (after you click "Submit") you should be able to add the
newly created microcontent as a block in the your block settings
(admin/block).
You'll see it in the block list with the title prefixed with "microcontent:".

By using this approach, you will not display the entire webpage inside
the block, but only the IM online status.

Hope this helps.

k l u r t