[support] setting.php - changing Drupal's admin path

dir.dev at digitalreef.net dir.dev at digitalreef.net
Wed Feb 1 14:47:41 UTC 2006

Bèr said:

> The parent of this mail gives a soluion that lets you hack into
> drupal.moudle.
> That is very bad advice.
>
>  http://drupal.org/node/2476 contains a lot of links to solutions.

All the solutions except one listed on the link above require you to hack
your  includes/common.inc file instead of the modules/user.module file.

Bèr, I'm just learning Drupal. what's the difference between making
changes to includes/common.inc and making changes to modules/user.module?
Is one okay and the other not? Either would be wiped out by a source-copy
update to a new version of Drupal. What else do we need to be wary of?

Deeper info of why such changes are not a good idea would be good to know
out here in the field.

 - - -

I see only one solution on the page Bèr recommended that reportedly worked
and doesn't require any source code changes:

http://drupal.org/node/2476#comment-30525

It recommends using the path module; an elegant and proper solution. As
long as your ISP host doesn't route *all* /admin/ paths to their control
panel, it'll set up as described. Otherwise, you'll have to set up the
path module while your Drupal is still in the subdirectory, and then move
it up to the main directory.

Cheers,
--Katin