[support] Hosting services shuts off mail from user nobody

Andrew Cohill cohill at designnine.com
Thu Feb 2 15:26:42 UTC 2006

On Feb 1, 2006, at 9:07 PM, Nicolas Tostin wrote:

>>> I am managing several Drupal sites, and the hosting service has shut
>>> off email from 'nobody' as a security risk.
>>>
>>> This breaks registration, password resets, notify, contact, and any
>>> other feature that sends email.
>
> Can't you use an mail-from in setting.php like this :
> ini_set("sendmail_from","webmaster at domain.com");

I tried this and still did not receive any email (did use a valid
email domain).

My hosting service has suggested recompiling Apache with phpSuexec,
which he says would solve the email problem but also changes the
allowable level of file permissions, which sounds like it could
affect Drupal's ability to write to sub-directories like /files.

Has anyone else done this?  What problems have you encountered?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Michael Cohill, Ph.D.
President

Design Nine provides telecommunications master planning services and
telecommunications and broadband project management.

Visit the Technology Futures blog for frequently updated news and
commentary on technology issues.
  http://www.designnine.com/news/

http://www.designnine.com/
Blacksburg, Virginia