[support] Image/Photo Galleries - recommendations of modules

Jason Flatt drupal at oadae.net
Sun Feb 5 18:40:58 UTC 2006

On Sunday 05 February 2006 09:51 am, Bruce Whealton wrote:
> Hi,
>       I'm wanting to use Drupal for a site where a company will want to
> display it's projects.  What we'd have would be photographs, image files
> that would contain a few photographs and some captions to explain things to
> the visitor obviously. I also want a tool for including image files in a
> posting.  I've mentioned this on topics that were related but different, so
> I thought I'd write with a focus on using images. First is choosing the
> tools to use, the modules.
>   Do I use just one?  For example, I see a module for Gallery, one for
> Image and Image_assist, image import, and image_filter.  Some of these seem
> like they would work not all alone but in conjunction with others. Some
> features that I'd like and which module seems to address it, are as
> follows:

> 1) allow batch uploading by the customer, on their site, of a zip
> or other compressed file, that will be unzipped by the system.

I don't think the Image module can do this, though I never really tried to.
Based on the description, I'd try the image_import module, unless I were
going with the full install of Gallery, but I don't know that it does it
either.

> 2) Allow
> captioning for each image

The Image module does this.

>   3) Add images to story/page/other nodes

I use Image Filter for this.

>   Qquestion 1>So, #1 and #2 seem like they would be met by either Gallery,
> Image or Image Import. #3 maybe is what I would need for the inline images.
>   But should I use Image or Gallery or Image Import but not both or all
> three?  Is there another module worth considering?  I'm just trying to get
> an idea how to not duplicate and confuse others by having two or more
> modules that do the same thing.

I would start with the Image, Image Filter and image_import modules, first.
Then, if they did not address the functionality I was looking for, I would
try Gallery.  The Gallery module is used to include the Gallery program and
it's features in Drupal, so I would try the native Drupal stuff first.

>   Question 2> referring to #3 above, I have image_assist installed but I'm
> not seeing where on the add/page or add/story forms I would see the place
> to include a photograph into the posting.  Not to sound ignorant, but how
> does "Image Assist" assist a person adding a node with one or more
> photographs?  I do see attach file but that's there without Image Assist.
> Please clear this up for me or help Sorry I'm so verbose...

The Image Filter module allows the easy inclusion of pictures in other nodes,
by using a special syntax: [Image:123] where 123==a node id.  You can put
that anywhere in the Body of the node, and the image will be placed there.

>   Q3> Should I consider other modules for working with or using images?

I have not used the other modules, so I cannot say what their usefulness is.

I have recently used Image and Image Filter on this site:
http://www.flattfamily.com/william/

I started to use the gallery features of image, then opted not to, as it did
not flow with the way I was setting up the site.

--
Jason Flatt
http://www.oadae.net/
jason at oadae.net