[support] New Install Problem: Access Denied

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sat Feb 11 22:55:18 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 February 2006 16:19, Kory Hamzeh wrote:

> > GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON drupaldatabasename.* TO
> > drupalusername at fullhostname
> > IDENTIFIED BY 'drupalpassword';
>
> I did issue the above command, except the MySQL doc stated to use '%"
> instead of the actual host name. Did I misunderstand something?
>
> Anyway, its working and I'm very happy!
>
> Regards,
> Kory

I suspect the issue is MySQL's configuration.  MySQL can be configured to
accept connections only from localhost and nowhere else, and that is the
default configuration in many distros.  However, defines localhost as "coming
from 127.0.0.1" not as "figure out what the real computer is".

So if your computer is named bob.com, then trying to access bob.com will have
the kernel send a message out it's outgoing interface, back in its incoming
interface, and be reported to any listening deamons (like MySQL) as coming
from "some other computer with IP address 1.2.3.4".  IF, however, you access
localhost, the kernel short-circuits the connection internally and sends it
directly to the listening program, something the listing program can detect.

So connecting to bob.com will get MySQL to reject it as being from some
foreign computer it can't identify, while localhost it will accept.

The user@% tells MySQL to accept that user from any host, but only AFTER that
host has been accepted on its own first.  Since it was rejecting the host, it
never got around to checking the user.

That's today's Linux lesson, boys and girls.  There will be a test later. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson