[support] How might I do this in Drupal?

Bruce Whealton brucewhealton at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 15:04:42 UTC 2006

Hi,
     Suppose I wanted to create an alumni web site using Drupal.  There could be hundreds of members, aka registered users.  It also would be nice to find others based on certain criteria, e.g. year of graduation, interests, location, etc.  On a slightly different site one might include skills, such as a company web site, job web site or charity organizing web site.
     One example of what might be nice to have would be the setup of profiles in Blogger.  No, I'm overall not a fan of Blogger.  But by having certain criteria in one's profile you can find others with similar interests/skills, etc.
   1)  What is the best way to organize a list of members in an alumni web site using Drupal?
  2)  How do we create links to encourage a user to go somewhere to update and add to their profile?
  3)  One idea is to have a wiki type setup where a person could create a page for themselves and include any data that they might want to share?  Would there be easier ways to organize information on members of a site?
  4)  The ability to search for members based on name, year of graduation.  Do we create a link to create a story or page for each member's entry or search the profiles?
  5)  How do we search profiles for a site?  I would want a direct link to do this?
  6)  How can I display a long list of members with truncated information from their profile, as a teaser or something like that... with a link for more information, or more details?
  7)  A link to display all members would be based on profiles, right?  As opposed to each user/member creating another node for their listing in the alumni site?
  8) like in the above example, can one list keywords, aka interests, other info. and have a link to display others that might have that or a similar keyword in their listing/profile?

  Thanks,
  Bruce

Bruce Whealton - Webmaster/Designer/publisher/Writer
admin at TriangleWebServices.com
http://trianglewebservices.com/
Street Exposure - Street Newspaper
http://wordsalad.net/StreetExposure/