[support] Sections Help

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Jan 20 23:41:53 UTC 2006

Hello
 and a warm welcome to Drupal.

Op vrijdag 20 januari 2006 21:24, schreef Andrew Heagle:
> Sorry if this question has been asked alot, and maybe I'm just beating a
> dead horse here, but I've been looking for this problem for a bit now and
> I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.  I'm not too familiar with all
> the drupal jargon, but I do know how to setup the taxonomy stuff with the
> vocabularies and terms and nodes and whatnot.
>
> Firstly, I'm using the drupal package that is in the Debian repository
> which currently is only 4.5.3.  If I have to I could install a newer
> version.

You should. 4.6 has been out for a long while, and very soon we will no longer
support 4.5 security upgrades. That is after 4.7 is released.

> I am wondering, on the main drupal site (http://drupal.org) the top right
> area, the primary links, go to directories with the same name.    So the
> support link goes to http://drupal.org/support and downloads goes to
> http://drupal.org/project and so forth...   How is this set up?  Does each
> sub directory have a different instance of Drupal running?  Is this some
> module that they are using?  Is this a feature of a newer version of
> Drupal?

We call this "clean urls". Only 4.6 supports this. Clean urls are nothing mre
then a nifty trick to remove the ?q= part.

> I want to set up a site similar to the way this is set up, so an "about"
> link would go to mysite.com/about instead of say
> mysite.com/?q=taxonomy/term/9 or even mysite.com/?q=about if I set up a
> url alias, but still have the said link (about) in the same drupal site
> for administration purposes.  I haven't been able to figure out how to do
> this with the default install, if it is even possible.

We call this 'url Aliases'. Again, you should use 4.6. Its in there by
default.

> Also, how can I get the taxonomy vocabularies to create/display as primary
> links dynamically.  If I make a new Vocab (category?) and then it'll show
> up there?  Right now I have to manually create them in the themes area.

No. In 4.6 you have to do this in the 'theme settings'. Just copy paste any
HTML in there. Or define links in a nice niterface. The exact matter differs
between the themes.

> Lastly, is there a module so that if you clicked one of the primary links
> or even just go to one of the taxonomy's vocabulary to give a list of all
> the terms inside.  For example, my "about" vocab has resume, contact,
> links for nodes (terms?) underneath.  How can I get it so that when a user
> goes to the About section, there is a secondary list of links for
> "resume", "contact" and "links" but if they go to another section like
> Guides there are other secondary links for guides but not for About.   I
> have a feeling that Drupal does not work in this way but I wanted to
> confirm this.

There are various. Look for modules starting with taxonomy_ and have a look at
article.module.

Bèr

 PGP ber at webschuur.com
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_webschuur.asc