[support] Mailing List System

Randal digitas at panix.com
Mon Jul 10 17:22:07 UTC 2006

At 10:50 AM -0500 7/10/06, Rob wrote:
>I need something that can handle a mailing list of 5,000 and send out emails for that. I have been trying PHPlist which seems to work very poorly and cannot send out more than a few hundred emails a day.

This may be a limitation set by your ISP, not by PHPlist. I have used PHPlist to send out mailings to over 70,000 people in a day. It has a very well-worked-out system to send large batches in segments of around 1000 each (so as not to upset your ISP). I believe this number is configurable to tailor it to a specific system. Many ISPs will cut off your mail sending if they see too much traffic at one time in order to discourage spammers.

I am certainly curious about other people's experience with mailing systems, but PHPlist certainly does work. I believe that Civicspace (based on Drupal) is designed to work with a version of PHPlist out of the box.

-- Randal