[support] how to shrink sessions table

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Thu Jul 13 16:50:02 UTC 2006

We have one site that is on the busy side and the sessions table is
getting, shall we say, on the largish side (303k records). I'm
looking at reducing that. I'm assuming this would be done in
settings.php.

ini_set('session.cache_expire',     200000);
ini_set('session.cache_limiter',    'none');
ini_set('session.cookie_lifetime',  2000000);
ini_set('session.gc_maxlifetime',   200000);

My question: Which of these settings should we cut down to reduce the
number of records? (We don't want to log people out upon closing the
browser, so that approach is out.)

Would I cut down the cookie_lifetime?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Laura, the MySQL klutz