[support] how to shrink sessions table

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Thu Jul 13 18:06:27 UTC 2006

On Jul 13, 2006, at 11:21 AM, Jeremy Andrews wrote:
> Out of curiousity, what problems are you experiencing from
> your large sessions table?  That is, what is prompting you to
> want to reduce the size of this table?  I've had the table
> get more than ten times that size without experiencing any
> problems.

Quite a few people have been having trouble logging in -- mostly new
users, but when a few each week are reporting this, we were concerned.

The sessions table thing did not occur to me, and I'm not convinced
that this was even related, but our hosting sysadmin thought it might
be on the large side. (It's nothing compared with the watchdog table,
which fills up with 404s of nonsensical URLs to the point of around
2MB of entries a day. It's mostly crawlers that don't honor
robots.txt, but until badbehavior scales properly, we're stuck with
chasing down IP addresses.)

Thanks for the heads up on the sessions.inc comment. If it's
documented there, maybe it should be documented in the settings.php
file, where the setting is actually set. (?)

Laura