[support] how to make drupal admin section https only?

Mark Shropshire mdshrops at shropnet.com
Mon Jun 12 11:58:17 UTC 2006

I had the same questions a year or so ago. Most of the time folks
told me to change the base url to https, but that of course forces
ssl across the entire Drupal site which isn't very efficient if you
don't need ssl on  the entire site.

A friend passed this code on to me and I am sorry to say I am not
sure where it came from originally, but I have greatly benefited from
it on my Drupal sites. Just replace the base url line in sites/
default/settings.php with this code:

$base_url = 'http://localhost';

if (!strcasecmp(substr($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'],0,5),'/user') && !isset
($_SERVER['HTTPS'])) {
   header("Location: https://" . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] . $_SERVER
['REQUEST_URI']);
   exit();
}
if (!strcasecmp(substr($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'],0,5),'/user')) {
   $protocol = "https";
}
else {
   $protocol = "http";
}
$base_url = $protocol . "://yoursite.domain.com";

Make sure to change the list line to your web site base url. This
code will force a redirect to an https session for requests to the /
user are in Drupal which covers logins. Make sure to turn off the
login block as this code does not protect the block. The cool thing
about this bit of code is that it can be extended to redirect other
areas of Drupal to https as needed.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!
Mark