[support] URL changes in 4.7

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Mon Jun 26 14:43:35 UTC 2006

Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> El Lunes, 26 de Junio de 2006 02:28, Earl Miles escribió:
>
>> I've been thinking that what we really need is a simple filter that would
>> properly do urls. It could look, for example, like:
>>
>> [url=node/123]
>>

> What do you think this syntax brings that HTML doesn't have? I don't see your
> point.

What it brings is that with HTML you have to know the relative path in
Drupal 4.7; while you don't need to know the site, if your site is at:

http://www.example.com/foo/bar

Just using href='node/25' won't work. You need to use
href='/foo/bar/node/25' which can complicate multi-site quite a bit.
>> It'd be filtered into:
>>
>> http://www.example.com/directory/node/123
>>

> But why URLs should be converted to absolute? I know exactly where the content
> will be posted, and where the target I'm linking to is located, and they are
> at the same site, so I can post relative links, and if I need to move the
> site, links still work.
>

>> (I pick absolute because content can end up in an RSS feed and RSS feeds
>> work better with absolute URLs)
>>

> No if you add the xml:base attribute.

If only more than a handful of readers actually supported this. Enough
don't that Drupal's RSS feeds can be a bit problematic.