[support] questions

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkeydata.com
Mon Mar 13 00:19:30 UTC 2006

Hello, Mohammed,

The following answers reflect my understanding of how Drupal works.
Really, the only person capable of specifically defining policy is
Dries. But hey, I could be wrong about that too :)

RE 1: The current practice is the current released version, plus
security updates for the past version. So, when 4.7 is released, 4.6.5
will still be supported, and 4.5.x will no longer be supported.

RE 2: This is very much my opinion. Within the Drupal community, users
have the right to suggest, but not the right to demand. Drupal is a
great CMS precisely because of the development work that goes/has gone
into developing and maintaining core. Users don't have the right to
demand that a developer's volunteered hours be spent fixing/creating
feature "x". If an end user feels strongly enough, they can hire a
developer to code the feature they want, or even organize a bounty to
help fund the development. Because Drupal is so good, it's easy to
overlook that it has been created -- and continues to be developed --
largely through unpaid volunteer hours.

RE 3: This is currently how Drupal works. The default account creation
involves a user signing up, receiving an email with their initial
password. They can only sign in with the password they received via
email. The logintobbogan module allows you to bypass that, but the
default account creation requires a user to verify their registration
via email.

To re-emphasize, my answers here reflect my understanding of the process
within Drupal. The way it actually *is* could be very different.

Bill

Mohammed al-shar' wrote:

> hello all.
> 1st, once drupal 4.7 becomes a reality, will version 4.65 still be
> supported? and for how long? what is the policy.
> 2nd, I see that drupal already is a powerful platform and has been
> maintained for long, yet, I must say I don't like the attitude of some
> of the core developers "if you don't like it, creat it" or something
> of the sort. I am saying this because, we drupal users deserve to get
> basic functionality available in drupal, like a web-link directory, a
> more secure guestbook, a faq, etc. not all of us know how to code modules.
> 3d, is there a way we could make the registration to drupal based
> sites more secure, mainly by making users have to activate their
> accounts via email, like most other cms? please, don't say captcha.
> thanks in advance.
> mohammed.

------
http://www.funnymonkey.com