[support] Multisite - shared users/profiles, different roles?

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Wed Mar 15 18:31:31 UTC 2006

I am looking at a project involving over a dozen sub-sites. The main
site will have accumulated content (and I assume I'll use agg2 for
that) and the sub-sites will have their own content, own admins, own
bloggers, etc.

Ideally, people could register on one site and be registered for all
sites. But they would have user roles only as appropriate for the
site they're on. In other words, someone on Site A with blogging
permissions is also registered on Sites B, C, D... but without
blogging permissions. Same with admins.

I am contemplating a multisite install with:

shared tables
- users
- profile
- ?

unique tables per site
- users_roles
- roles
...and everything else

Questions: Am I looking for trouble going this way? Are there other
tables I will need to share (e.g., sessions, cache)? Are there other
pitfalls to this hybrid multisite approach I should watch out for?

Can you suggest alternative approaches? (I'm looking at SXIP, but it
seems to be overkill for what we're after. Anyone?)

Any insights, experiences, warnings, anecdotes appreciated! Thanks!

Laura

Laura Scott
President
laura at pingv.com