[support] Multi-Languages Site

Salman smhar at gawab.com
Thu Mar 16 20:15:15 UTC 2006

I have a Drupal site http://www.mishkah.org/blog and I want to make the
followings:
1) Be able to post english and arabic blogs/stories/pages. This I can do
as Drupal supports UTF-8
2) Be able to make english posts appear from Left-To-Right while arabic
posts appear from Right-To-Left. For this I found few options.
    a) using bidi.theme and bidi.module (which is a filter module)
    b) using i18n module, which needs patching the core.
    c) encoding the post in html tags.
    d) using input module to do that. So far, I found that Htmlarea,
Tinymce, FCKeditor and Xinha all do this. I am currently using Tinymce.
What I really want to do is this: when a visitor enters the site, I want
him to be able to display only the english posts or arabic posts or both
-or both, all the posts-. I also want him to be able to change the
language of the navigation menu and other blocks if they have an
alternative language.
These are the options I thought of so far:
1) I can make two site http://www.ar.mishkah.org/blog and
http://www.en.mishkah.org/blog or make http://www.mishkah.org/blog/ar
and http://www.mishkah.org/blog/en point to different two sites, each
with a different menu and posts and blocks. but this means 2 databases
or at lease two different tables, I am not sure how it works.
2) maybe I can add a taxonomy verb as language/arabic and
language/english. and if there is a way to make that appear changed from
a clickable url, then a user can click to show posts in english only or
arabic only. but then I still have the problem of the site interface, I
am not sure if an anonymous visitor can change that from a clickable url.
3) I am not really sure what the i18n module can help with in this regard.
Please advice.