[support] Spammers filling sessions table

Grant Malcolm grant.malcolm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 13:36:22 UTC 2006

Hi folks

Anyone have a solution for this one? Drupal 4.6.5

My site is getting hammered by spammers and I'm struggling to keep it
going - particularly on a shared server.

As near as I can tell a regular anonymous visitor generates a single
row in the sessions table.

I've been regularly deleting sessions where uid=0 but referrer and
comment spammers are choking my sessions table with anonymous
sessions. In an eight hour period I suddenly gained 14,700 rows in
sessions table. In a half hour period towards the end of this before
the db choked with too many connections, I had 500+ attempts to post
comment spam.

Bad behaviour and spam are blocking almost all of the comment spam
from publication, but the site is choking in the meantime.

I've tried session_limit module, but the spammers are spoofing random
ips and ignoring the sessions, so it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers
Grant

--