[support] Multi Site Question . . .

Aaron Green joseph.green at usm.edu
Fri Nov 10 15:13:54 UTC 2006

I'm wondering how high Drupal can go.  I am reviewing it for an
installation where it could be installed on 140 sites (departments
within a company).  I really can't afford to get to some odd number
and see serious performance issues.  The traffic most likely won't be
an issue, but huge amounts of content will go in the database.
Upgrading all of these as separate sites would be a nightmare, so
multi-site is my only solution at this time.

On 11/10/06, Greg Knaddison - GVS <Greg at growingventuresolutions.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/06, Michelle Cox <mcox at charter.net> wrote:
> > The only real advantage I've found to multi site is security updates only
> > need to be applied in one place. I'm not sure that benefit outweighs the
> > pain of being forced to upgrade all sites at once.
>
> I agree and would just point out that for me, at 3 sites I said "why
> bother with multisite, it's not worth it" and then at 10 sites I said
> "security and general updates suck, I need multisite".
>
> So, there are different strategies for different situations.  If you
> have or are going to have lots of sites, multisite becomes a smart
> decision.
>
> Greg

Aaron Green
Web Content Coordinator