[support] watchdog log files slowing admin page

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:02:34 UTC 2006

Running a test system of drupal for a new site that we are wolrking
on, and noticed that the watchdog log table grew to about 250,000
records.  This made the main admin (and log) pages just move to a
screeching halt.

I deleted the watchdog table and everything seemed to come back to life -

Could this be some sort of configuration issue?  Either drupal or mysql?
has anyone else run into this, and did they come up with a solution
(like possibly purging the log file) -

Thanks