[support] **********SPAM**********: accessibility of drupal sites

Mohammed Al-shar' mohammed at atexplorer.com
Tue Oct 17 23:59:57 UTC 2006

dear listers,

first, I am sorry to have posted this messages to both the themes and the support lists, but I just am not sure where this would fit more.

I am concerned with the accessibility of drupal powered websites for the blind and visually impaired. I have searched the drupal website and read what I could find about this topic but it seems to me that this has received little attention so far. none of the posts I read was elaborate enough.

here are some points to contemplate about:

1. for visually impaired users, I want them to be able to change the font size / color / contrast on the fly. one site that does this beautifully, but it's not drupal powered is our strategic partner's website at: www.yourdolphin.com

2. provide keyboard users the possibility of reaching some parts of the website using accesskeys. I know that this method isn't preferred from what I read about it, but may be the listers can share their views about this point. I am blind myself, and never need to use accesskeys as my screen reader has built in commands to reach to various elements on most websites. actually, most modern screen readers have this possibility.

I am thinking that structuring the website's documents well will often be most handy. like using different heading sizes, and using bulleted and numbered lists.

the project I am involved in currently is for the company I work for, which specializes in assistive technology for the blind and visually impaired. it's at: www.nattiq.info
it still requires lots of work, specially that it's going to be multilingual and has a right to left  language. still, I would highly appreciate it if some of you could give it a look and steer me in the right direction. any comments will be warmly welcomed.

Regards, and thanks in anticipation.

Mohammed al-shar'