[support] accessibility of drupal sites

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Wed Oct 18 13:57:38 UTC 2006

On 10/17/06, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073 at student.lu.se> wrote:
> Greg Knaddison - GVS wrote:
> > I think it would be great if there were a theme that catered
> > specifically to people with bad eyesight and/or who are blind.  I
> > imagine that there are some Drupal themes which do reasonable well in
> > this regard, but making one that had that as its main goal would
> > certainly provide the best solution.
> >

> Is not the main point of accessibility that all sites should be
> accessible???

I don't think so.  I run several sites that are for a specific group
of people.  They don't need or want changes to the theme to make the
sight accessible.  Other sites I've worked on target individuals age
55+ and were therefore made easier to read with bad eyesight (higher
contrast font/background and larger text).

All public sites should be at least minimally accessible, but if we
are talking about people who have impaired eyesight, then many of the
recently proposed "new themes for core" have off-black text on a
greyish-? background which leads to difficult reading (even for folks
with perfect sight).  And little attention has been paid to that
issue.  It's also impractical to say that we won't allow themes into
CVS if they aren't sufficiently accessible - people will make what
they will make.

Regards,
Greg

--
Greg Knaddison | Growing Venture Solutions
Denver, CO | http://growingventuresolutions.com