[support] Migrate content from 4.5.8 to 4.7.3?

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Sun Sep 24 09:48:58 UTC 2006

Erik Steffl wrote:
>   I have an old drupal page that uses drupal 4.5.8, I'd much rather
> fresh-install 4.7.3 then go through probably (I guess) error prone
> upgrades.
>
>   is there any way to migrate content from old 4.5.8 drupal installation
> to new 4.7.3 installation? I only want to migrate stories etc., not
> setup/themes etc.

I think this is a good question.  I am in a similar situation with one site
that I support.  I think it might even still be on Drupal 4.4.

While I have some ideas about how to do it, I would like to hear from anyone
who has any experience with attempting it, or from anyone who has technical
ideas about how to make such a process feasible or easier.

One possibility for a starting place might be the import/export API work done
by Jeremy Epstein (Jaza) in his recent Summer of Code project.  I have not
looked at it and do not know it's capabilities, certainly with respect to much
older releases, but I hear it is quite comprehensive and well implemented.

..chrisxj