[support] shared tables for multisite

Anisa mystavash at animecards.org
Sat Sep 30 12:36:33 UTC 2006

Hm.  So, the signon module configuration is good..?  I'll try that then.

I don't really imagine people being an editor on two or more of my multi
sites, they're just for my various hobbies and interests, I'll probably get
all excited making them and then let them lie for a long time.  ;p

Thank you all for your help and thorough explanations!

Anisa.

On 9/29/06, Greg SBC <gregbjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>  Sharing roles but not permissions can be a powerful way to differentiate
> sites or site sections and the permissions roles can have in each. I use
> such a setup up so that editors of section of a multisite only have
> editing/config permissions in there area. But it can get really messy too if
> you are not neat during setup and you keep good notes of what you did. It
> can be a pain though to update 3 to 5 sets of access permission when you add
> a new module or update who can do what.
>
> Not sharing the roles tables (while sharing the users table) add another
> layer of messiness that had really be ready to manage. Each user could have
> differenent roles under each section of the multisite. So you if want 'Jon
> Doe' to be an 'editor' in site one and two, you need to go to his profile in
> both sites and add him to that role.
>
> I don't think that layer of abstraction is needed if you just use the
> permissions table, to give the 'editor' role access under site one and two,
> but then no extra access in other places. So my recommendation would be to
> share the roles table, but not permissions.

www.AnimeCards.Org

16,000 scans and counting!