[support] impact of converting db varchars to integers

melantias toomaate melantias at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 13:34:24 UTC 2007

Hi,
.
To improve Drupal performance, our client has suggested to change the field
types from varchars to integers in some tables.

A few tables with varchar fields are as follows:

node : type
permissions : perm
node_access : realm
blocks_roles : module

(It means we are numbering node types from node/comment/page/story    to
 1/2/3/4.....  like that)

I guess i need to change the drupal core code as well - if i change the core
tables field types.
I would like to know whether this is feasible or not.

And what would be the impact, if i change the data types of the core tables.

Thanks & Regards,
T.Melantias