[support] impact of converting db varchars to integers

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed Apr 4 14:07:45 UTC 2007

> To improve Drupal performance, our client has suggested to change the
> field types from varchars to integers in some tables.

This isn't really the list for that sort of discussion. For the
technical aspects of doing so, and whether it's a viable approach, you
really want to ask on the development list, not the support list.

However, you'd really have to provide benchmarks that showed an amazing
improvement in performance. IE., how does your client have any sort of
clue that this is actually a good thing? Are they just waxing poetic
about things they think they know something about, but don't?

--
Morbus Iff ( tomorrow never comes until it's too late )
aim: akaMorbus / skype: morbusiff / icq: 2927491 / jabber.org: morbus