[support] slow site: db problems

Bruno De Bondt bruno at indymedia.be
Thu Apr 5 12:37:12 UTC 2007

Hello,

We're running Drupal 4.7.6 with the following contrib modules:

captcha, contemplate, event, forward, inline, links, pathauto,
tagadelic, taxonomy_theme, urlfilter, cck, flexinode, i18n, panels,
print, taxonomy_access, textimage, views.

We're having a serious database performance issue. Page loads sometimes
take several minutes, so does adding or editing content. The top and
iostat commands show a very high iowait. iostat -p also tells us that
the load is on mysql.

So, a couple of questions:

- Could there be an obvious problem with our combination of contrib
modules? I'll try disabling them to see what each of them might or might
not do, but there may be obvious problems ...

- In the node table, the vid row is at the bottom. On a fresh Drupal
install, I noticed that the vid row is located second (below nid). How
bad is this? What's the best way to put the vid row (and its content)
back in place again?

- I'm thinking this might also relate to another problem we're having: a
few weeks ago, our search indexing stopped working. This happened after
upgrading from 4.7.5 to 4.7.6. I tried rebuilding the index, but the
problem stays. Is it possible that both issues are connected?

If more specific info is needed to give advice or help, please ask.

Thanks,
-- bruno