[support] automatic creation of nodeprofile to go with the automatically created usernode?

Neil: esl-lounge.com neil at esl-lounge.com
Fri Apr 13 15:57:21 UTC 2007

I am using the following modules:

nodeprofile
usernode
path auto
Me aliases

When a user signs up, a usernode is automatically created and using path auto/me aliases, this can be accessed using personal/me.

In the menu, I also have a link to profile/me which is the correct URL for a user's nodeprofile...but only once it's been created. If a user clicks on that just after signing up, they get a 404.

What's the best way around this? I know I can send a link in the confirmation e-mail to "node/add/nodeprofile" but there's no guarantee they'll click on it. If I have a hard-coded link to "node/add/nodeprofile", it will get in the way once a user has created a profile.

possible solutions?

1. show menu link "Create Profile" only to those without a profile. How would I implement this?

2. Is there a way for an empty nodeprofile to be created at the same time as the usernode is created?

3. Can I use mysql triggers to, at least on the db side, insert an empty profile into the relevant table so that the profile at least exists once an account is created?

Is there any other way around this issue? I know a lot of drupalers are using the nodeprofile/usernode combination so I'm sure this problem has been faced and resolved countless times.

Thanks

Neil