[support] Do you *really* have to be a programmer - was Re: Newbie question on concept

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:31:34 UTC 2007

I think you are on the right track using Drupal.

The confusion arises as users of all kinds get very excited about all levels
of using this framework, and start getting carried away in their suggestions
without taking into account what your objectives are.

Dries, the original creator of Drupal, spoke at the last conference about
freeing the users from webmasters (you do not have to know HTML) and about
how now the task is to free the users from programmers (and certainly from
programming) and to free the users from designers also.

While people who love to program, or work as programmers, love to program a
lot with Drupal, and as graphic designers work with Drupal in their every
effort to make Drupal "not look like Drupal" for their fashion-conscious
clients, on the other hand, you can fashion very decent looking and above
all, functional sites without any programming or even theming at all.

To go beyond the blogging question, simply set the front page as a page. If
your site is basically a brochure site, you can start out by following Laura
Scott's excellent "Approaching a brochureware website using Drupal" (link:
http://pingv.com/blog/laura/200509/approaching-a-brochureware-website-using-drupal),
which shows you which modules to use, to set up an about page, a
products
or services page, contact form, etc., all without programming.

Then, if you need special blocks, you can make them with a WYSIWYG editor
like TinyMCE.

If you need special content types you can make them without programming just
as you would in Access or the like by going to Administer >> Content Types.

If you need special views, you can create views, with their own special
paths for page views, also without programming. These paths can be placed in
menus or blocks holding links, or put on pages as links.

And you can house everything in the default Garland theme, with your own
color scheme, dispensing with the graphic artist, and you will have a great
site.

Good luck!

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar