[support] Do you *really* have to be a programmer - was Re:Newbie question on concept

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Apr 25 15:35:53 UTC 2007

At least in Drupal 5, I have to disagree.  Most of the sites I've done recently, professionally, are 95% existing modules.  Once you learn how to really leverage CCK, Views, and other "first tier" modules, you can usually get 80% of what you want.  Another 10% you can get from picking the right additional modules to install and knowing how to configure them.

The last 10%, though, is making the site look like its "yours" rather than Drupal.  That's the hard part, and that part is where most of the code we've written goes.  That's because:

1) Theming requires complex logic.
2) Complex logic requires a language capable of expressing it.
3) PHP is a language capable of expressing complex logic, and it's the one Drupal uses.

A lot of that is boilerplate code that you can copy and paste and sometimes modify, and in fact the theme system is built for that.  But you need to have some idea of how PHP works.  You don't need to be a first-rate programmer, but to do anything that doesn't look canned (either one of the default Drupal themes or someone else's general purpose Drupal theme) you do need to be able to tweak some code here and there at the theme layer.

And I challenge any other CMS to offer infinite flexibility layout without involving PHP. :-)

At least these days, though, the thinking I'm seeing is "it costs you 5 minutes to create a node type with CCK and add some fields to it".  Throw Views at it, and you have any listing of nodes you want, anywhere you want.  You just need to know how to configure it, which is confusing until you realize what it's doing, then it's easy. :-)

Making the node look like something other than the default?  Then you need to understand how the theme layer works and know at least enough PHP that you don't panic as soon as you see a dollar sign.

--Larry Garfield