[support] Do you *really* have to be a programmer - was Re:Newbie question on concept

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Apr 26 00:57:46 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 10:53 am, Bèr Kessels wrote:

> This is merely a warning, not a kick at Drupal or at the Drupal way. Its
> just that I have been there, done that many times. And more and more often
> find myself ignoring flexinode, cck and views alltogether, simplly because
> of the fact that in order to get that last 10%, I kill the only pro of
> these modules: online configuration.
>
> Bèr

Again, I disagree.  Yes, once you start manually placing individual fields in
a template file, you have to update it every time you add a new field.

1) That's why you do your node setup and configuration first, then your
theming.

2) Even with that requirement, CCK/Views saves you all the database coding
time.  I'd rather spend 10 minutes setting up a node in CCK and have 50
minutes left over for theming it than spend 50 minutes setting up a node in a
custom module and have 10 minutes left over to theme it.  I trust CCK's code
to not suck a lot more than my quick'n'sloppy hands. :-)

It also means that when you do add a field later, you still have no database
or validation stuff to deal with.  All you have to do is add a new field
through the UI and add another print statement to the template.  You never
even see SQL or a validation routine.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012