[support] menu not appearing expanded

Sarah Adams mr.sanders at geekjock.ca
Wed Aug 15 15:39:32 UTC 2007

> Actually I'd try this in a non-primary links menu.  Some themes go to
> the trouble of treating primary links differently, and Intentionally
> making them not expand.  Try performing the same tasks with either a
> newly created menu, or in the navigation menu.  Do they work there?  If
> so, make a new menu and enable the block in your theme rather than using
> them as primary links.

AHA! I finally got this to work. I just removed the following from my theme:
print theme('links', $primary_links, array('class' =>'links', 'id' =>
'navlist'))
and instead added the menu to the appropriate block.

Your reply set me on the right track. Thanks!

I also decided to do a little experiment to see if maybe I was not quite
understanding the concept of primary/secondary links. I went to
www.opensourcecms.com and used their demo of drupal. My understanding
was that the primary links and secondary links were not related, that I
could just place whichever menu items I wanted in each of those menus.
But my experiment in the drupal demo showed me that if I added a menu
item to the primary links, then added a child item also to the primary
links, the child item would in fact appear under the secondary links. So
I guess in reality, I should never explicitly add items to the secondary
links menu - am I understanding this correctly now?

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer