[support] menu not appearing expanded

sander-martijn sander at sander-martijn.com
Wed Aug 15 22:04:15 UTC 2007

Well yes - much of the book is for advanced development and chapter 2
delves right into module development.  But chapter one gives a good
overview of the system and chapter 8 deals with themes in an incredibly
straight forward way.  I wish they spent more time on theme development
than they do or that there was a book devoted to that level of
development but the book was worth the money for me for that chapter
alone because it starts out with "take your html page, add in these few
bits of php code just like this and bam it works" before going into
things in a bit more detail.  Also seems to handle working with blocks
in a pretty good way but i haven't dealt much with that yet.

For myself I'll also be happy to have it when i get to the inevitable
developing of my own module - I need something that will find the
closest representative to a zipcode and i'm pretty sure no one has built
that yet.  There are open source databases available to deal with it but
i'll have to build the glue.  probably something others will find useful
when i'm done too.

but yes - although a lot of the book will probably go over your head for
now from what you've said about your skill level, it's probably worth
the money spent just to get you going with theme development, and the
block work you'll likely have to do once your themes start advancing.
I'm quite certain I would have been able to get my theme going with this
book even without php knowledge.

sander-martijn <mailto:sander at sander-martijn.com>
interface developer | architect
sander at sander-martijn.com <mailto:sander at sander-martijn.com>