[support] Menu question

sander-martijn sander at sander-martijn.com
Fri Aug 17 22:21:18 UTC 2007

They're actually css menus only.  The thing is, i'm quite certain I can
build what i need to with drupal i'm just having trouble with the
documentation.  I won't rant about it, i don't really have the time and
i'm sure you don't either.

The main things I'm dealing with is
1: very specific (but not that unusual) requirements of what menus
should do on the site
2: a site that got mostly built already in a commercial cms that can't
handle even the most basic requirements - I'm in damage control mode now
trying to salvage a project by bringing it to drupal.

In the meantime I used the nice_menus module for the top nav which
pretty much can do what I need it to do in the short term, but may cause
problems once there is a third level which shouldn't show in the top
nav.  Now I'm trying to get the left nav to display how that should.
I'm basically doing a lot of print_r in my templates right now so I can
get an idea of what's going on.

given this structure:
- home
 - top level links
   - 2nd level
      - 3rd level

top nav: show on all pages, display top level links and their 2nd level
links (through css dropdowns)
left nav: show on top level links and below, list top level link and 2nd
level links when on top level, list top level link, 2nd level links and
current 2nd level link's children indented when on 2nd or 3rd level

So I don't need javascript or JQuery for this - if I can get arrays
containing these elements then I can use template override functions,
custom php code or whatever else to get what I need.  I'd rather not
write a module for this but if that's the only option I'll go that route.

thanks
.sander